New Orleans, LA (March 21, 2021) – Glenn Darden’s Baby Doll (above) beat 29 other teams to win the 2021 J / 22 Midwinter Championship hosted by the Southern Yacht Club. The nine scheduled races took place in mostly windy and bumpy conditions on Lake Pontchartrain.
Darden, from Fort Worth, TX, with crew Marcus Eagan, Jackson Benvenutti and Sarah Raymond won today’s opening race. Travis Odenbach’s Honeybadger, just one point out of the pace early in the day, was seventh. Honeybadger came back strong to win the final contest, however, Baby Doll placed fourth and won the championship with 16 net points (Odenbach finished with 20). Casey Lambert’s Blackburn Marine Racing had a solid weekend for third place (40 points).
The Darden team members are all in the New Orleans area. “Marcus and Jackson are wizards of this lake,” said Darden. “(It was) very streaky and sneaky all three days. We love the bump with the breeze. We got off the line well, which was probably our key.
Final results (Top 5 out of 30; 9 races, 1 gap)
1. Baby Doll, Glenn Darden, Fort Worth BC, 2-1-1-1-1-5--1-4-; 16
2. Honeybadger, Travis Odenbach, Rochester YC, 1--3-3-2-1-2-7-1-; 20
3. Blackburn Marine Racing, Casey Lambert, Lakewood YC, 6-3-8-2-4-7-5--5-; 40
4. Pressure drop, Mark Foster, CCYC, 4-5-[31/RET-BF]-18-9-9 / RDG-1-3-3-; 52
5. TILT, Alexander Schwinn, Lakewood YC / Fort Worth BC, 9--2-5-12-3-8-11-11-; 61
Nine races took place from March 19 to 21.
Source: class J / 22